My high school friend (Class of '75), Polly Benfield McKaskle and her sisters put together a cookbook of their mother's (Marie Elaine Thompson Benfield) favorite family recipes after she passed away. Look for more of these tasty recipes in future posts. These recipes are an expression of a mother's love handed down through the generations starting with Polly's grandmother, Ollie.
Some of Polly's favorites in the cookbook are: Strawberry Pie, Italian Cream Cake, Tortilla Rolls Ups, Coconut Cream Pie, Mom's Cheese Ball, Mayonaise Rolls, Squash Casserole, and Ollie's Ice Box Cookies.
Below is a sweet story of how Polly's grandmother came to be called Ollie by all of her grandchildren.
Some of Polly's favorites in the cookbook are: Strawberry Pie, Italian Cream Cake, Tortilla Rolls Ups, Coconut Cream Pie, Mom's Cheese Ball, Mayonaise Rolls, Squash Casserole, and Ollie's Ice Box Cookies.
Below is a sweet story of how Polly's grandmother came to be called Ollie by all of her grandchildren.
"I don't know when this picture was taken, but I must have been very young, because Ollie passed away in 1976 at the age of 73. My parents met while my mother was visiting her brother; he and my daddy were both stationed in San Antonio, Texas. After a short courtship and against my grandfather's wishes, they decided to marry. Ollie's Daddy was concerned about her getting married because this was during the war time when many young men were killed. One year later, my sister, Linda Kay was born. As fate would have it, daddy was sent overseas for the next 2 years. My mother and sister lived with my grandparents (Ollie & Pappaw) while my daddy went to fight in the war. Linda Kay spent her first 2 years hearing my grandmother's friends call her by her nickname, so she did too. Well, it stuck and all (10) of her grandchildren called her Ollie."
"Ollie always had Ice Box Cookies baked with 3 kinds of ice cream to choose from in the freezer. I so miss those days. In a way I have kept up the tradition. I make up the cookie dough and freeze it. That way my husband, Gary, can slice and bake the cookies whenever he gets hungry for delicious, homemade cookies. The only problem, he gets in front of the t.v. and lets them burn!"
Ollie's Ice Box Cookies
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
1 c. shortening
4 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. nuts, chopped
Cream shortening, brown and granulated sugars together. Add eggs and vanilla. In another bowl mix together flour sifted together with the baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until smooth. Add the nuts and mix thoroughly. Spread the batter on waxed paper and shape into 3 rolls. Slice about 1/4 inch thick and bake on cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. The cookies slice easier if you chill the dough first. Cookie dough may also be frozen.
1 comment:
Patti,
I was so touched that you put Ollie's recipe on your blog. She was a really sweet, old fashioned kind of girl.
I forwarded your blog address to my sisters. I've really enjoyed visiting it.
My sister Janie LOVES cookbooks. After we redo Mamma's cookbook, I'll send you a copy. We are going to put pictures in it this time and maybe a story with some of the recipes.
Thanks again,
-Polly
Post a Comment