Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Texas Chili

As the weather man is predicting snow flurries and artic temperatures for tonight, I plan to celebrate by cooking this delicious Texas Chili. You only cook it for 2 hours; it's quick and easy!

2 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion, chopped very fine
2 tablespoons oil
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 can Rotel original diced tomatoes and green chilies (2 cans if not adding beans)
2 cans chili beans, optional (I don't like beans in my chili...I know, I'm weird.)
NOTE: If you are not adding 2 cans of chili beans, you will need to add additional liquid. I usually add 1 beer in the beginning anyway.
grated Cheddar cheese, to top each bowl

Brown ground beef, drain. Saute onions, garlic, and jalapeno pepper in oil. Combine all ingredients into the same pot. Cook over medium heat and boil for 1 minute. Cover and simmer for 2 or 3 hours. You can add any of the following if you need to: salt, pepper, beer or chicken broth. If you add beer, do it early in the cooking process.

No comments: